By far, the most important thing that you should carry with you in your truck is a set of the best jumper cables. As you would probably anticipate, things happen, and your truck’s battery can be drained pretty fast.
Maybe you left the switch on or, there is a short in the power system which drains the battery. The best set of jumper cables for diesel truck can be the difference between being stranded for 10 minutes or being stuck for 10 hours.
Depending on your vehicle, you need to get the set that will match its need. And getting such a jumper can sometimes be hard, especially when you consider the number of brands on the market today. But we are here to help you. We have looked at the best jumpers to jump-start your diesel truck.
Here is a comprehensive review of the top 4 best jumper cables for diesel trucks on the market today.
1. Energizer 1-Gauge 800A Permanent Installation Kit Jumper Battery Cables
As you know, it is not always possible for the booster vehicle to be parked in front of the stuck car. Luckily, coming as a 25-foot jumper cable, this booster is long enough to jump start a truck that is far from the other vehicle.
The jumper cable comes in a single gauge which provided thick wires that guarantees a faster charging of the worn out battery. Its clamps are made of copper-clad aluminum that is perfect for trucks.
Even at cold climate, the cable remains flexible and is able to work effectively. And that not all, you can easily store it in your truck with ease.
It also provides other benefits such as:
- High-quality construction.
- Wide cross section.
- High conductivity
One thing that the company didn’t do is to provide a carrying bag, but you might not need it since you can put it in your truck.
This is a product that we can recommend as it gets the job done faster.
2. OPT7 Python 25-Foot 1 Gauge Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
Your heavy truck is more than just a mean of transportion. When you drive it, you need an equipment that car jumpstart its battery. This is the OPT7 Python Jumper Cables.
These are premium heavy-duty jumper cables that were designed for strong and larger vehicles. They are guaranteed to jumpstart just any vehicle within seconds. The cables come with a single gauge made of copper wire to provide it efficiency.
It also comes with a SmartBoost feature that lights green when the connection is done properly. Why guess and risk damaging your battery further.
Other notable benefits of this product include:
- Very safe to use.
- Long cable.
- Covered with weatherproof PVC-cover.
While the cables have a shortcoming in that they can snap if used in cold weather for long.
All in all, these are good cables for people who need to boost their vehicle faster.
3. Voilamart Auto Jumper Cables 1 Gauge
By now you understand that the lower the gauge the better the cable! TheViolamart Auto cables are also single gauge cables that provide more power to your truck’s battery.
The cables come with a PVC insulation that protects them from acid, oil, and heat. Also, its handles are insulated to ensure safety when using them.
Furthermore, the cables come with a 20 feet long cord that ensures you reach even a car that is parked far away. They also come with a carrying case that makes it easy to move and store them.
The cables also provide other benefits such as:
- Resistance to low temperature.
- Works pretty fine.
- Ideal for 6V, 12V, and 24V cars.
These cables are a bit expensive when you compare them to other on the market today, but they last longer.
Due to their multipurpose nature, we can recommend them for people with vans, trucks, cars, SUVs, and other automobiles.
4. Auto Jumper Cables 1 Gauge 20-Foot Heavy Duty Booster Cables
This set of jumper start cables is meant for heavy duty use. You need to carry this product to back you up in case you get stuck on the highway.
The cables come with braided 1200 high amps copper core which is perfect for 6V, 12V, and 24V cars. It is also perfect for other machines. Furthermore, the cables are fully insulated by long-lasting rubber and PVC coat to keep the cables safe from water, heat, and shock.
Unlike shorter cables, these 20-foot cables are sufficient to boost a vehicle parked behind the booster car.
Other benefits of these cables are:
- Free carrying bag.
- CE approved.
- Compliance with the Euro Standard.
They are not like the other three heavy duty cables we have reviewed above, but they still do a good job.
These are must-have cables if you own a diesel truck. We can highly recommend them since they are effective.
Jumper Cables Buying Guide
How can you ensure that you get the best jumper cables for diesel truck? There are three things that you should watch out for and they are:
Longer Cables Are Better
Always go for the longest cables on the shelves. It is a practical advice since you will need to connect two vehicles during the emergency. These cars might not always be positioned side by side or head to head.
In such cases, longer cables are the only one that can successfully boost your truck.
Heavier and Thicker Cables Are Better
There are some thin and cheap cables on the shelves but you shouldn’t buy them since they are not good for heavy duty use. Also, they might only be good for one jump start and then they overheat and break.
The thing about heavy duty cables is that they need to conduct high levels of power via them and the wires remain strong and durable. The best cables are made from copper or copper plated with aluminum.
Good Cables Are Expensive
The difference between a good and a bad jumper cable is the material used. The bad and cheap cables can go for as little as $10 but they will last for just one session. They can be risky if not connected properly.
On the other hand, durable and good cables can cost 20 times as much and last for a lifetime. With that said, we would recommend you to get the cable that is within your budget.
Benefits of Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
Heavy duty cables are the best for diesel truck use. But do you know why they are considered the best? Here are the benefits of heavy duty jumper cables.
- More current flow – They are able to conduct more current and still avoid heating up. Therefore, they can transmit the required power to your battery more effectively than other cables.
- Bigger clips – These cables come with stronger and bigger alligator clips. This ensures a better connection between the 2 batteries, which minimizes the possibility that you will need to jiggle the clips around to get the best connection.
- Spark protection – Since these cables are bigger and have bigger clips, you can easily hold the clips far from the battery terminals. You won’t be near the connection when connecting the cables to the batteries.
How to Use Jumper Cables
Using jumper cables for diesel truck incorrectly can be risky. So, you need to follow the right process when connecting them.
Most jumper cables come with an instruction label or card that can make your work easier. Just in case you buy a product that has no instructions, follow these steps:
- Start by parking your car with the good battery near the truck with the drained battery.
- Open the hoods of the two vehicles and locate their battery. Remove the plastic covering from the battery – if they are covered – so you can see the terminals.
- Located the negative and positive posts. Look for plus and minus sign not red or black color (this is not always the case).
- Take your jumper cables and connect the red clamps to the plus post of your dead battery. Clamp the matching red clamps to the terminal of the working battery (plus side).
- Connect the black clamp to the minus post of the good battery. Instead of connecting the other black clamp to the negative side of the dead battery, connect it to the surface of the engine of the dead truck – like on a bolt or screw.
- Start the working car engine and leave it running.
- Start the dead truck engine and leave it running.
- If the dead truck starts without any issue, disconnect the black clamp from it, then from the booster car. Then, remove the red clamp from the booster vehicle and then from the truck.
The best jumper cables for diesel truck can come in handy if you get stuck in the middle of the road. They can help you to start your truck faster with the help of a booster vehicle. However, you need to choose the best cables for this type of vehicle.
Some of the best cables for diesel trucks are the ones we have reviewed above. Get one of these models and you will never get stranded for long.